Hi, I’m Adam…
…and this site is a mixture of a blog, a repository of music I’ve written and/or performed, and an unabashedly geeky set of lists and random tidbits.
Wanting to get or stay in touch?
And yes, this is a site in limbo. So much to overhaul, but perfect is the enemy of the good, so I’m just going to share two things with you for now:
- A quick list of things that I’m passionate about and
- Links to some posts I made a while back that you may find interesting and/or funny :).
But first, an AdamMusic’ing playlist 🙂
Stuff I’m passionate about
MUSIC: I started studying piano at age four, and have since dabbled in playing classical and jazz music, composing and arranging random tidbits, singing, and more.
Over the last few years, I’ve enjoyed being on the board of Groupmuse.org, a non-profit dedicated to expanding classical music to be more inclusive and vibrant by empowering musicians through financial, technological, and career support.
And for over a decade I’ve also been passionate about music online, serving as the Community Architect for Virgin Digital’s (sadly defunct) music service, a volunteer Community Leader for (the legal) Napster, and a beta tester / plain ol’ user of literally dozens of other music services living and dead.
TECH: I’m a total geek; I enjoy playing with online and offline tech tools & gadgets and the like!
MY WORK: Up until January 2023, I had the privilege of working with amazing colleagues at Google… most recently on improving healthcare access in the U.S., and before that on interesting projects associated with travel, maps, photography, and web search!
FOOD: I have sometimes traveled just for food. But unfortunately I’m a lazy cook, so during COVID I’ve been largely depending upon a variety of awesome food-services to keep me happy and healthy foodwise.
WELL-BEING & FITNESS: I especially love fitness classes (Zumba, Body Pump, yoga) but — in these times of COVID (with no in-person fitness classes), I’ve been doing my best to keep fit with my Peloton bike and Oculus Quest 2 headset.
TRAVEL: I’ve visited 31 countries around the world and have met incredibly inspiring and entertaining people along the way. And so many places yet to see! One day I’ll actually organize my photos and get some albums shared online! :). And speaking of photos…
PHOTOGRAPHY: I love capturing street scenes and scenic vistas alike when I’m traveling, and I’ve typically used a pocketable camera or even my cell phone to be less obtrusive and tourist-like.
DANCE: I’m especially enamored by lindy hop, the oldest and (in my humble opinion) clearly the most fun type of swing dancing. I began lindy hopping in 2001 (!), and though I’m nowhere near as skilled as I should be after all these years, I’ve had amazing experiences dancing with wonderful people all around the world, from Korea to Sweden (oddly the two biggest meccas of lindy hopping by far) and beyond.
A bunch of links I haven’t yet organized well
WARNING: Note the date listed on the top of each post, so you don’t get mental whiplash 😮
Money & Business
- The evolution of Music: From Thing… to Experience
- The right “goodbye” companies should give their customers
Health & Wellness
- Advice on making new years’ resolutions
- What I learned (and relearned) from PiYo
- I’m Yoga’ing and I feel a bit like Homer Simpson
Friendship & relationships
- Giving rather than offering
- What do you do with thoughtless, selfish acquaintances?
- Everlasting friendship
Society & Culture
- Two Brazil short stories – The Galloping Vendors and the Patient Kindness of Strangers
- Dear HR folks and interviewers
- The Internet has a long memory
- Reliving 9/11 in all the wrong ways
- Proposal: Compulsory service in America
- American disclaimers are really, really dumb
- I hope you’ll be warm where you’re going
- Tragedy of the Social Networking Commons — and the fixes
- A heartwarming story about bridging the culture gap
- Adventures in Flying, part 13
- Luck, girls, flies, truffles, tall people, and 100 BILLION dollars
- Those Wacky French
- Irish P rmanent
- A Morning Warning
- Someone’s either really stupid or a VERY strange fetishist
- Odd signs and other miscellaneous tidbits
- Cranky Adam rants about bloviating ‘legal’ sigs and more