My friends have been telling me that “BLADAM” is a yucky name. Bummer. So I’ve shopping for a new domain name, and it’s not easy! So many things to think about, and so many damn evil squatters (but that’s a different issue).
And I thought hmm, I’ve been mulling over so many guidelines and best practices in my mind, I might as well share them! So, without further ado, here are some of my thoughts.
- Clear pronunciation: You—and many others—are probably going to mention the domain out loud. Is it blADAM or BlaDAMN? Is it PenIsland or… ahem :o.
- Spellable: Is it lasnik or lasnick? spendia or spendea? Mind your homophones, too. Was that 4you or 4u or foryou.whatever? q or queue?
- International meaning: Do you want your domain to mean “smelly” in a popular non-English language? Probably not.
- Brevity: osteoporosishealing may convey exactly what your drug does, but—forget spelling—try fitting that on a business card!
- Unspamminess: No matter how clever you think you are, some-domain-name-like-this.whatever will look like spam. Honest.
- Got .com?: You may have found a fab .net domain name, but what if your clients/potential customers keep mailing the .com version? Uh oh! Try to get both, at least if you’re in the U.S. Old habits die hard, unfortunately!
- Brand matching: If everyone knows you or your company under one name, choosing a cute marketing word as your domain name may not fly. People will probably still type in companyname.com into their browser.
- Cost: Some random TLD (e.g., .ly) may have their registrations on sale this month, but what about when you renew? .com and .net (and the TLDs of big countries) will likely stay reasonably affordable. .vanity TLDs? Possibly not.
- Legal stuff: Using a major (or even minor) brand’s name in your domain name may seem like flattery, but it may get you nowhere but in trouble.
- Expandability: Isn’t it a good thing that Amazon.com didn’t start off as books.com? This also means “BlogOfFred.com” may be a bad idea if you think you might add a wiki or forum later. Or, more importantly, if your name’s not Fred.
Any items I forgot? Post YOUR thoughts and ideas below 😀